Saturday, November 19, 2011

Media Relations Strategies


In order to succeed with the new, you must perfect the traditional.  Just with their website alone, Dunkin’ Donuts covers both forms of media relations.

By scrolling all the way down on the main page, there is a link to their online press room. Here you can find anything and everything you ever wanted to know about Dunkin’ Donuts (I should know. I’ve used it plenty of times for this blog). It has everything from the typical “About Us,” “Executive Bios” and “Contact” to a PDF of the general company press kit.

Granted I haven’t researched a ton of big companies before, (okay you caught me, only 2) but I have never seen a company put its press kit online for the public. Naïve? Maybe, but I think it is such a good idea.  I have said before that I think the entire Dunkin’ brand is about being laid back and straightforward. Offering the press kit to everyone, I believe, further proves this. It’s like they are saying “Here’s everything about us. We have nothing to hide.” Of course, that is what we all hope for our big companies, but, as they say, everyone has something to hide.

The online press kit has all the components you would expect from a press kit: a cover letter, quick facts, history and company highlights. However, I think it goes above and beyond the major components. It also offers the community service the company does, their customer profile, awards they have won, and things they have improved on that they are proud of such as their nutritionally sound recipes and “culinary excellence.” I used quotes because I question how much culinary skills goes into toasting that bagel. All-in-all, I think the press kit sells the company very well, which of course is the goal.
Social media is quickly becoming a popular and necessary media relations tool. It is no longer necessary for the media to have to go to Dunkin’s PR rep and ask for the information they need. If they want some insight into the company or what its customers think, they can just go to one of the company’s many pages (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or blog) to find out.

Like I said last week, Dunkin’ Donuts seems to have all of its social media covered. I talked about how it created better relations with customers, but not about how it benefitted the media coverage. The YouTube page in particular is offering info to the media and almost begging to be covered. For instance, I’m sure Dunkin’ sent out a press kit on the “Create Dunk’s Next Donut Bake-Off,” and maybe the reporter was interested, but couldn’t get there. By putting up the videos on YouTube, it offers the media a look into the event so it can be covered.

I also think Dunkin’ uses its social media pages instead of press releases for the smaller things. Dunkin’ tends to announce smaller contests, such as the new “Holiday Giveaway” of a Keurig coffee maker, on the Facebook and Twitter pages. While this might not draw immense media attention, it is still getting the information out there.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I think you did a nice, concise summary of Dunkin's strategies, and I can't believe how lacking my subject's is when compared to some of these other brands! I also think it's interesting when companies "put it all out there" as if, like you said, they have nothing to hide. I think this is a smart move, especially in the age of social media where they have to almost let their company history and future speak for itself and answer to the detractors that may be blogging about them or posting reviews somewhere or even writing negative stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former journalist, this practice of putting an entire press kit online is a big help in conducting research or fact checking on a company. It's also good to have more than one channel to obtain this information from than having to call a PR person and hope you get your answer before your deadline hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of the donut baking competition before. Like the idea though. Can help get more people involved in DD instead of in and out for their morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a thoughtful job. You have covered all of their media relations tactics, while doing some worthwhile thinking along the way. (I like the comment about their "culinary excellence.") Your comment about their YouTube video of an event is also well taken. This is a tactic that works well to get the media to "attend" a special sponsorship event. This could be used by a lot of other companies as well.

    ReplyDelete